Saturday, September 22, 2012

Cheesy Potato Soup


There is no better comfort food that potato soup. 

End of statement, it cannot be argued. 

I learned some new tricks with this today as my ingredient stash started to dwindle...it came out to the be the best pot of cheesy potato soup I've ever made!

5 lbs large russet potatoes
2 cans evaporated milk (low fat is fine)
1 1/2 cup milk (skim, 2% or whole milk - it all works, you may need a bit more depending on thickness)
1 large box Velveeta Cheese (2% is fine)
1/2 stick butter (real butter)
salt and pepper to taste
1 package of real bacon bits or 1/2 lb of bacon fried and crumbled
2 chopped scallions

Peel and dice potatoes, try to keep them a consistent size.  Put into a large pot of boiling water and cook until very tender and water begins to thicken.

Remove potatoes and drain 80% of the water (don't let any of your potatoes get way - use a colander).  I just eyeball this process - most of the water out...just a little left in the pot.  I use my potato masher (yes, the old fashioned kind with an handle - I have Mammy's) and lightly mash your potatoes.  You want it lumpy but thick. 

Add mixture into your crock pot or you can simply return it to the stove top and finish it on the spot.  Add evaporated milk and regular milk (the evaporated milk makes it creamier).  Cube the Velveeta and add to the soup mixture.  Add Salt and Pepper to taste.  Drop in the butter.  I have to admit, the butter was a rescue effort as my soup's sample taste was "too thin".  This did a GREAT job of improving the taste and consistency.  Wish I'd have done that years ago!

If your soup is too thick, thin it with more regular milk.  You can always thin it but you cannot thicken it well.  If you need to thicken, you can mash the potatoes more but it will only work so much.  Better thick than thin (that's what I say)!

Let cook on low until cheese melts.  Serve topped with bacon bits and a few scallions. 

Top with bacon and a few scallions.  I serve this with freshly baked bread...if it's a carb-comfort fest...why not go ALL the way!  Serve Honey Butter with your bread and it's even better :):)

If you refrigerate your left overs, you may need to add a touch of milk for re-heating.  It tends to thicken overnight.

An inexpensive and delicious way to end out a brisk and busy day!  Tater UP People!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment