Thursday, September 13, 2012

Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes


This was a first attempt me last night as I've NEVER tried a filled cupcake.  A friend is becoming a groom this weekend and this was his wish - and you know I cannot turn a groom away so I set off into my own version of Cup Cake Wars - the Home Edition!

1 Box Yellow Butter Cake Mix
1 Small Box Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
12 oz.  Milk Chocolate Chips (Milk or Semi-Sweet)
1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
Cupcake Liners (foil lined only)
Baker's Secret Spray
4 eggs
1/3 cup Canola Oil
1 cup Water
1 1/2 cups Cold Milk (whole, reduced fat or skim)
1 Medium Pastry Bag with Small Round Tip
Muffin Tins

Prepare instant vanilla pudding mix as directed and place in the fridge for it to chill and thicken.

Prepare cake mix as directed on the package (I always add an extra egg to each box - it just makes it so much more moist). 

Line your muffin pan with any foil lined cupcake liner.  It's important not to use paper liners as they tend to stick to your cupcake and they cannot handle the chocolate ganache.  I like to lightly spray my foil liners with just a spot of Baker's Secret baking spray.  Your cupcakes will come out just beautifully!

Fill each liner 2/3 full of cake batter.  Bake 12 - 15 minutes or until the centers are set in a pre-heated 350* oven.  Remove cupcakes from the pan and place on a wire rack to cool completely.  Don't get ahead of yourself...these need to be completely cool before filling.

Place the tip into the pastry bag (I have to confess it has been so long since I've piped frosting, I'd forgotten how to secure mine - second try was MUCH more successful).  Use a pointed small round tip.  I place my pastry bag in a tea glass then flip the edges of the pouch over the top rim of the glass.  Fill the pastry bag with the pudding mix.  Twist the top tight and insert the tip into a cupcake.  Squeeze firmly to insert the filling into your cupcake.  You will notice a slight "puff" in the cupcake.  Do not overfill.

Place heavy whipping cream in a small sauce pan and heat it until small bubbles start to form on the edges.  Add chocolate chips and remove from heat.  Whisk constantly until all chips are melted.  Pour over the tops of the cupcakes or dip the tops into the ganache if you prefer.  Word to the wise, this can get messy so be prepared.

Chill in the fridge for at least an hour or even overnight.  I keep mine chilled until just before serving.  They were FABULOUS!  Not a single left over!

No comments:

Post a Comment