Monday, July 8, 2013

Squash Overflow!



Oh My Goodness!  We were gone for two days and came home to squash OVERFLOW!  While we do love squash, we can't possibly eat it all before it goes bad so I had to come up with a way to preserve our garden beauties!

I did the traditional roast of green peppers and squash cubes (toss lightly with olive oil, salt and pepper then sauté in a wok or skillet until tender) for dinner but that didn't even put a dent in the harvest!



We love stir fry and have it often so I took the top and bottom off then quartered each squash.   Some were overly large so I slipped my knife behind the seed core and removed those (I just don't like the texture of those large seeds).  Then julienne the squash and freeze in quart freezer bags.  The next time I make stir fry, I'll just toss in an extra bag of squash!  This increases the vitamin content and stretches your favorite stir fry mix a little farther!  Or do what I'm doing tonight and just roast them up and serve them as a side dish to your favorite meat!  Toss with olive oil or even your favorite stir fry sauce or soy sauce!


I know there are tons of  squash casserole recipes out there but that's usually heavier that we want in the summer months. 

This was quick, easy and will really add to our healthier diet attempt!

No comments:

Post a Comment