Saturday, July 13, 2013

Blueberry Cheesecake Bread


Baking something first thing in the morning just sets the day off right for me!  Today's fare - Blueberry Cheesecake Bread.  Why just go blueberry when you can combine cheesecake with it!  Am I right on this or am I RIGHT?!?!

You'll need:

18 oz packaged blueberry muffin mix (I like the kind with real blueberries,
     some like the kind with the blueberry bits - your choice)
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (softened)                                         
1/4 cup white sugar                                           
1/2  teaspoon lemon juice                                                   
1 egg
 
Mix the bread mix according to package directions (I always add an extra egg to everything I bake - no matter what the recipe calls for.  Mama said that was a baker's secret for luck!).
 
Mix the cream cheese, sugar, juice and egg until creamy.
 
Prepare your loaf pan with Baker's Secret cooking spray (I get crazy when it sticks to the pan so spray liberally).  Add 1/2 your blueberry batter in the pan, add your cream cheese mixture, top with remaining blueberry batter.  You can take a skewer and swirl your batter or not, your call (I swirl).
 
Bake at 375* for 45 minutes or until top is golden and center set.  Let cool completely before you try to flip this out of the pan.  If you try too soon it will break on you! 
 
Optional Topping:
 
Sometimes you feel streusel, sometimes you don't.  Either is fine.  I skipped this today but you do what you want.
 
1/4 cup flour or baking mix
1/4 cup softened butter
1/4 cup sugar (white or brown)
1/4 cup nuts (usually pecans or walnuts) optional
1 t cinnamon sugar
 
Use a fork to combine all ingredients until you have a small crumbly consistency.  Add to top of loaf mix prior to baking.  I have waited until half way thru my bake to add this on top - I don't ever measure and if I'm heavy handed in the sugar, this may darken too quickly if I add it at the beginning.
 
This topping will make it just a tad harder to flip out of the pan.  I recommend using a clean tea towel when you gently roll the loaf pan over then use the towel to slide this back upright on your serving plate.  That way you don't loose as much of the topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment