Saturday, January 14, 2012

Turkey Casserole












This is for my "other" hubs...the new way doesn't have to taste bad :)

Just when I thought I'd finished with our Thanksgiving turkey...ANOTHER bag of frozen bird appeared in my freezer! What to do, What to do??? = CASSEROLE!!!

1 pkg long grain wild rice (prepared - I like the microwave kind)
1 container (10 oz) reduced-fat Alfredo pasta sauce
1 cup fat-free sour cream
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth (I like the cartons not the cans)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning (just a pinch)
1/4 teaspoon pepper (pepper only - do NOT add salt)
4 cups cut-up cooked turkey
1 bag frozen mixed vegetables (thaw them first, they bake more evenly)
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1 teaspoon olive oil (not too much or your topping will be soggy)

Prepare rice and set aside. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray your casserole dish with cooking spray. In a big bowl, mix pasta sauce, sour cream, broth, Parmesan cheese, poultry seasoning and pepper until well mixed. Stir in rice mixture, turkey and vegetables. Spoon into baking dish.

In small bowl, mix bread crumbs and oil; sprinkle over turkey mixture. Bake uncovered 45 minutes or so - until edges are bubbly and bread crumbs are lightly browned.

Voila' Casserole is heart healthy and that dang bird is FINALLY out of my freezer!

No comments:

Post a Comment